New Delhi, Aug 1 : The government has the least to lose due to disruptions in Parliament and it is the country which loses the most, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said while stressing on effective functioning of both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. He also said it is the duty of each parliamentarian to lend voice to the problems of the common man in Parliament and force the government to take steps for their welfare. The prime minister was speaking at an event at the central hall of Parliament to confer the best parliamentarian awards for the years 2014 to 2017. "It is important for MPs to express the voice of the poor and the marginalised. Sadly, when there is noise and chaos in the House, MPs are not able to speak and the loss is of the entire nation," he said. He further said, "Government has the least to lose due to din in Parliament.
Chandigarh, Aug 1 : Punjabi cine actor and former convenor of the AAP's state unit Gurpreet Singh Waraich 'Ghuggi' today came out in support of AAP MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira, urging the party workers too to back him and attend his convention tomorrow at Bathinda. Ghuggi pledged his support to Khaira in a video message to the AAP volunteers, while also urging them to do likewise. "I fought a long battle for Punjab but it could not succeed because the intentions of the people along with whom he was fighting, were not clean. "I feel sorry that whenever anybody raises his voice in the Aam Aadmi Party in Punjab's interest, it is suppressed. You can find such instances in the party's recent history," he said.
Chandigarh, Aug 1 ; NABARD has sanctioned Rs 722 crore for eight water projects in the rural areas of Haryana, state Minister for Public Health Engineering Banwari Lal said today.
Works on these projects, which will supply water to 256 villages and 72 hamlets, are in progress, Lal told reporters here, adding that the state government has sent three more project proposals, costing Rs 236.85 crore, to NABARD for financial assistance.
The second proposal aims to supply water to 109 villages and nine hamlets, Lal said.
Lal said the state government was getting financial assistance from the National Capital Region Planning Board to modernise the sewerage system in urban areas. As many as nine plans have been approved at an estimated cost of Rs 72.10 crore, he said.
The state officers have been given special directives to ensure that water is supplied via tankers to areas which are experiencing a water crisis, he said.
"RO plants have been installed in areas which have a scarcity of pure water. These plants are being set up in those region where there is scarcity of canal water and the quality of underground water is not good," he added.
Lal said the state will soon release a policy for treating dirty water. He said there is huge demand for reused water especially in bulk sectors like thermal plants, agriculture, horticulture, industries among many others.
He said 1,200 to 1,300 Million Litres per Day (MLD) of water was being treated in the state sewerage treatment plants (STPs) out of which only 30 to 50 MLD water was being reused.
He informed that a total of 89,182 complaints related to his department were received on 'CM Window', the state grievance web portal, out of which 87,423 have been resolved, and the remaining 1,759 plaints will soon be addressed.
Speaking on fatalities during
sewer cleaning operations, the minister said the deceased's family will get Rs 10 lakh, along with which the insurance cover will also be paid.
He said that since 1993, 18 sewer cleaning workers had lost their lives in such incidents.
To prevent such mishaps, the department has taken a number of steps, which include training and provision of safety gear, Lal said. As many as 535 sewer cleaning men have been trained so far.
"If there is blockage in the sewer, permission in writing will have to be obtained from the concerned executive engineer, and the work will be carried out in the presence of a senior officer," he said.
Kolkata, Aug 1 ;The Kolkata Police today granted permission for BJP president Amit Shah's proposed rally here on August 11, police said.
The development came hours after the BJP Yuva Morcha alleged that they are yet to receive any communication from the Kolkata Police regarding permission for Shah's rally.
The ruling Trinamool Congress took a swipe at the BJP and Shah, claiming that they had become nervous and wished them "happy journey to the land of peace and harmony".
"Some unwarranted speculation in social media about denial of permission to a political party on 11 August has come to our notice. It is to clarify that on request permission for meeting has already been granted," the Kolkata Police said in a tweet.
State BJP Yuva Morcha chief Debjit Sarkar said he has been informed by the police that the permission has been given to hold the rally at Mayo Road in the heart of the city.
Sarkar had earlier told PTI that the organisation has submitted a formal application to the police, seeking permission for Shah's rally.
The Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress and the BJP have been locked in a bitter war of words amid attempts by the saffron party to make inroads in the TMC stronghold.
The latest flashpoint has been the issues of National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam and illegal Bangladeshi immigrants. Shah is aiming to win 22 of its 42 Lok Sabha seats in the next elections. It had won two in 2014. The TMC had bagged 34.
"BJP & its national President have become nervous, tense. Their programme for Aug 3 in Kolkata was promptly granted permission. For their Aug 11 program, they only just sent a letter & permission granted" (sic), TMC chief national spokesperson Derek O'Brien said in a statement.
"Happy journey to the land of peace and harmony #Bangla Love Your Neighbour", he said in a tweet.
New Delhi, Aug 1 ;The Union Cabinet today gave its nod to a bill to restore the original provisions of a law on atrocities against Dalits and tribals, acceding to a key demand of Dalit groups ahead of their call for a 'Bharat Bandh' on August 9, a top government source said.
The bill to restore the original provisions of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act will be brought in Parliament, he said.
The Supreme Court in a ruling in March had introduced safeguards which, Dalit leaders and organisations said, diluted the Act and rendered it toothless.
BJP ally and Lok Janshakti Party president Ram Vilas Paswan had led the call to bring a new law to overturn the court order. Several ruling party MPs belonging to Dalit and tribal communities had also backed the demand.
New Delhi, July 31 : A Muslim woman from Uttar Pradesh’s Sikandrabad, who had filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking abolition of Nikah Halala practice earlier this month, on Tuesday alleged that she has received death threats from her husband. The woman, Farzana, had claimed in her petition that she had been illegally divorced by her husband, leaving her and their daughter without any means of living or financial support. “From the day I have filed the petition my husband has been pressuring me to withdraw it and has even threatened to kill me. He has also told me that going to the Supreme Court will not help me and I will be forced to do halala,” Farzana told reporters here. The practice of Nikah-Halala requires a divorced woman to marry someone else, consummate the marriage and then get a divorce in order to again marry her first husband under the Muslim personal law.
Chennai, July 31 : DMK president M Karunanidhi was in the intensive care unit of a city hospital for the fourth day on Tuesday where Congress chief Rahul Gandhi visited him and described his condition as stable. "I met him, he is fine, stable. I am quite happy to see that he is doing well. He is a very tough person like the people of Tamil Nadu. He has the spirit of Tamil Nadu in him," Rahul told reporters after visiting Karunanidhi. After spending about 15 minutes at the hospital, the Congress president said his mother and predecessor Sonia Gandhi had sent her best wishes and regards to Karunanidhi and his family.
New Delhi, July 31 : The Congress on Tuesday alleged that the government did not have data about the number of illegal immigrants in Assam and not all the 40 lakh people who have not found a place in the draft National Registry of Citizens, were foreigners. Over 40 lakh people in Assam have been left out from the the NRC, which is being prepared to identify illegal migrants in Assam.
New Delhi, July 31 : The Centre on Tuesday said that the Army has been deployed to stop Rohingya Muslims' infiltration into the country and has also directed the states not to let them spread. "The Border Security Force (BSF) and the Assam Rifles are deployed to stop further infiltration of the Rohingyas," Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha during the Question Hour. He also said he has issued an advisory to states to monitor those who have already infiltrated.
New Delhi, July 31 : The Centre has approved Rs 5,439.14 lakh for a new scheme aimed to empower rural women through community participation and awareness generation about government programmes, Women and Child Development Minister of State Virendra Kumar has informed Parliament.