Jammu, Oct 12 (TST) BJP state general secretary Yudhvir Sethi Friday said those sympathising with terrorists are doing no good to the nation, as he lauded security forces for eliminating two ultras including top Hizbul commander and former PhD student Manan Wani in north Kashmir's frontier district of Kupwara.He also termed as "misleading and against the very spirit of Kashmiriyat" former chief minister Mehbooba Mufti's remarks that Wani's death was "entirely our loss as we are losing young educated boys everyday".Sethi said giving statements "glorifying" militants and describing their killing as a loss are nothing but akin to fanning militancy. "The sympathisers of such people (terrorists) are doing no good to the nation. Security forces have done a commendable job by eliminating terrorists." Instead of "glorifying" such militants, Mehbooba should ask youths not to get misled by Pakistan only to be killed by the security forces, he said.Sethi also dismissed her suggestion that all the political parties in the country should try to facilitate a solution through dialogue with all the stake holders including Pakistan to end "this bloodshed".Reacting to Manan's killing Thursday, Mehbooba had tweeted, "Today a PhD scholar chose death over life & was killed in an encounter. His death is entirely our loss as we are losing young educated boys everyday." "It is high time that all the political parties in the country realise the gravity of this situation and try to facilitate a solution through dialogue with all the stake holders including Pakistan to end this bloodshed," she had further said. Sethi said everyone in the country knows about the situation in Kashmir and that is why they have thrown their weight behind the security forces as they eliminate militants and even the "white collar ultras".Educated or uneducated militants like Burhan Wani and Manan will continue to meet their fate at the hands of security agencies, he added."Pakistan and militants backed by it have launched a proxy war against a mighty nation like India who has one of the best armies," Sethi said.Instead of encouraging young boys to take the wrong path or sympathising with the ultras, Mehbooba Mufti as a mainstream politician should ask them to contribute to the nation's economy and help their families grow stronger, he said."She must...have courage to call a spade a spade only then will the people, especially the youths of Kashmir, will not get misguided," Sethi said.While many youths in Kashmir are engaging themselves in start-ups and having self-finances units or are studying in different parts of the country to make their future, youths like Manan are meeting their fate, he said.
Tirunelveli (TN), Oct 12 (TST) The VHP Friday urged the Centre to build consensus on bringing a legislation to construct the Ram temple in Ayodhya, even though it expressed hope that a case on the matter pending in the Supreme Court would come to a finality in six months."BJP on its own will not be able to bring a legislation as it lacks a majority in Rajya Sabha. But anyhow we have fixed a deadline as January 31 or February 1, 2019 on the auspicious day of Kumbh Mela in Allahabad to bring the legislation in Parliament," VHP president Vishnu Sadashiv Kokje said.Kokje, who was in Tirunelveli for Tamirabharani Maha Pushkaram festival, was replying to a question from reporters on BJP's assurance to build the temple.The Centre should bring the legislation with consensus of all MPs to pave the way for building the Ram temple, he said.The Vishva Hindu Parishad leader said the organisation last week set a "deadline" for the government to bring an ordinance by the year-end.Tracing VHP's movement for the Ram temple, he said the organisation took the decision for its construction in 1984 and after a long legal battle, the Allahabad High Court gave its verdict largely favouring the Hindus. This has been challenged in the apex court."We hope that the matter will be decided within six months in the Supreme Court," he added.On the top court lifting the ban on entry of women into Sabarimala temple, he said the matter involved a conflict of interests between the rights of women and age-old faith of religious traditions and favoured a review.He also said the VHP wanted a review of the court's verdicts decriminalising adultery and homosexuality. The judgements were "retrograde" in nature and destroyed age-old values and institutions such as marriage, Kokje claimed.A large number people took a holy dip in Tamirabharani river as part of the maha pushkaram (worshipping of rivers).
Jorhat(Assam), Oct 12 (Agency) All the 16 air force personnel on onboard the helicopter that made an emergency landing at West Tuting on Thursday were airlifted from there and brought to the IAF station here Friday, IAF sources said The 16 Indian Air Force personnel arrived at their Jorhat base this afternoon, the sources said.The MI-17 chopper which had taken off on routine mission from Jorhat to West Tuting and back to Jorhat had to make the emergency landing due to a technical snag on Thursday, said Shillong based IAF PRO Wing Commander Ratnakar Singh.He said all the 16 IAF personnel on board the chopper were safe.
The technical snag occurred when the chopper was returning from West Tuting and had to stay back there, Singh said.
New Delhi, October 12: In a setback to the Congress, the Supreme Court on Friday dismissed petitions by its leaders Kamal Nath and Sachin Pilot for random verification of Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines linked to EVMs in the ensuing assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.Madhya Pradesh Congress leader Kamal Nath had contended that there were 60 lakh duplicate voters on the electoral rolls of the state.Similarly, Rajasthan Congress leader Sachin Pilot had alleged that there were almost 41 lakh fake voters in his state.A Bench headed by Justice AK Sikri said there were no loopholes in the EC mechanism.The Bench also dismissed the Congress leaders’ plea to provide them voter list in word format. The Election Commission had given the voter list in PDF format.The Congress and the Election Commission had on Monday sparred in the court after the two Congress leaders alleged duplication of names in the voter lists for the upcoming assembly polls.Kamal Nath and Sachin Pilot were represented by senior advocate Kapil Sibal while senior advocate Vikas Singh had contested their claims on behalf of the Election Commission.Singh had said attempts were being made to malign an important constitutional institution like the Election Commission and get favourable order by fabricating documents by alleging discrepancies in voter lists.“I stand by what I had said earlier,” Singh had said, adding that the poll panel had taken note of the allegations of the Congress and undertaken corrective measures with regard to discrepancies in the voter list which was evident from the EC’s communication of June 8 this year.Despite this, the Congress party alleged discrepancies in their petition in September and this was a clear attempt to malign the institution, he had said, adding that the leaders had “casually filed something” to “malign” and “denigrate” the poll panel.Observing that free and fair poll is the “essence of democracy”, Sibal strongly rebutted the submissions of the poll panel and referred to alleged discrepancies and duplication in the voter list, giving illustrations of four assembly constituencies in Madhya Pradesh.Giving an illustration, Sibal said 36 voters had different details, but their photographs are the same and this assumed significance against the backdrop of 60 lakh fake voters having been found in Madhya Pradesh alone. Also, 24 lakh names had been deleted from the list by the poll panel, he alleged.The plea filed by Nath through advocate Varun Chopra said directions should be issued to publish the voter list in a “text format as per rules”, instead of the PDF format and expeditious decisions be taken on all complaints before its final publication.Nath said a direction should be issued to the poll panel to randomly verify VVPAT slips with Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) votes at 10 per cent of randomly selected polling stations in every constituency.On September 18, the poll panel in its affidavit justified providing the draft electoral rolls in PDF format in Madhya Pradesh without any pictures of voters saying it was done to prevent manipulation of the electors’ data.It had sought dismissal of the petition filed by Nath alleging duplication of names in the voter list as “not maintainable”, “completely frivolous” and “an abuse of the process of court”.Earlier, the top court had agreed to examine the pleas of Nath and Pilot and had sought response of the ECI and state poll panels of the Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.It was alleged that as per a survey, in Madhya Pradesh there were over 60 lakh fake voters and similarly, in Rajasthan, there were over 41 lakh duplicate voters.In Rajasthan, the poll panels had added 71 lakh new voters, the plea said, adding that directions be given to remove inconsistencies and conduct free and fair elections.
New Delhi, Oct 12 (TST) Delhi Commission for Women chief Swati Maliwal on Friday said she has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to remove Union Minister and former journalist M J Akbar from his post in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment against him.Welcoming the #metoo movement, Maliwal urged all women and girls to come out and report any kind of sexual harassment.This is the right time to please come out, please report so, all these sexual predators that are existing in our society, they need to be taken to task and they need to be put behind bars, she said.I've also appealed to the Prime Minister through a letter today. Sir, please first of all remove Mr. M.J. Akbar from the post of minister in your central government. I think he does not deserve to be a minister anymore, she said. "Seven different women have reported very, very serious allegations of sexual harassment and molestation against this man. He has sexually assaulted all seven of them, that is what is being claimed," she said in a statement.Several opposition parties have demanded the resignation of Akbar, who is the Minister of State for External Affairs.Akbar has so far not offered any comment over the issue.Maliwal said that she has appealed to the Prime Minister to set up fast track courts in country, increase police resources and fix responsibility of police so that faith of women can be restored in the system.
Lucknow, Oct 12 (TST) Samajwadi Party (SP) founder Mulayam Singh Yadav Friday shared the stage with brother Shivpal Yadav, who has recently formed the Samajwadi Secular Morcha (SSM), at a programme organised on the death anniversary of socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia.Last month, Mulayam had appeared at an SP rally in the national capital, along with his son and party president Akhilesh Yadav.Addressing the gathering at Friday's programme, Mulayam highlighted Lohia's ideologies and urged the youth to follow his path and "fight against wrongdoings"."Lohiaji taught us that if an elder brother does anything wrong, he should also be protested," he said.Shivpal later told the media that he had the "blessings" of his elder brother Mulayam."It is our responsibility to carry forward Lohia's ideologies. When netaji (Mulayam) is with us, we will bring in a new revolution and change in the country," he said, adding that he would not go for any "pact" with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Uttar Pradesh."We will carry forward Lohia's ideologies and fight communalism. We will not do any pact with the BJP. Our fight is with the BJP," Shivpal added."I hope netaji will contest the 2019 Lok Sabha polls on our ticket. We have already decided to support him from wherever he contests," he said.On the expansion plans of his newly-formed outfit, Shivpal said, "The first conference of the SSM, the expansion of which is already going on, will be held next month in Lucknow." "We are moving ahead with our socialist agenda and working to strengthen our organisation," he added.The founder of the SSM had earlier said he was ready to contest all the 80 parliamentary seats in Uttar Pradesh, except Mainpuri where Mulayam will be in the fray, in the 2019 polls.
Shivpal was unceremoniously removed from the post of SP state president after his nephew Akhilesh assumed charge as the party's national president.
New Delhi, October 12: Taking serious note on reports that students of Hindu and Muslim communities were made to sit in separate sections in a primary school run by the Municipal Corporation in Wazirabad, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia today ordered for an inquiry into the matter.He asked the Directorate of Education, Delhi government, to submit the inquiry report tomorrow, saying that separating students on the line of community was a conspiracy against the Constitution of the country. He said this in a tweet.The report, appeared in various sections of the media, said that a section of teachers employed by the North Delhi Municipal Corporation had alleged that a primary school in Wazirabad was segregating Hindu and Muslim students in different sections.However, the teacher-in-charge of the primary school was suspended on Wednesday after the report was made public. Earlier in the day, the Delhi government took cognisance of the report and the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights sent a notice to the Director of Education in the North Delhi Municipal Corporation and head of the school. Seeking immediate dissolution of such grouping, saying that it was against constitutional values, the commission sought an explanation from the director within two days.Opposition parties today sought to corner the BJP-led NDMC over the segregation of students into Hindu and Muslim sections at a municipal school in North Delhi, with the AAP alleging an "RSS connection" to the shocking act that led to suspension of the school's in-charge.During the proceedings of the Standing Committee of the NDMC, the AAP and the Congress party also demanded "stricter action" against the accused in-charge, saying "his mere suspension was not enough"."Action should be taken against other senior officials, too, who could be involved in it. It is a shocking case that goes against the harmonious culture of India, as we know it," AAP leader Vikas Goel said."A mere school in-charge could not have possibly done this act without connivance of other senior officials. Also, I suspect the RSS' involvement in it, since elections are due next year," he alleged.
Chennai, Oct 12 (Agency) The Madras High Court Friday extended an interim order dispensing with the appearance of former Union minister P Chidambaram's family members before a special court here till November 2 in a case of 'non-disclosure' of foreign assets filed against them by the I-T department.A division bench of Justices S Manikumar and Subramonium Prasad, has already reserved its order on the main appeals moved byChidambaram's wife, son and daughter-in-law, challenging the prosecution initiated against them by the Income Tax department under the Black Money Act.On September 14, the court in an interim order dispensed with the appearance of Chidambaram's wife Nalini, his son, Karti and daughter-in-law Srinidhi before the special court for economic offences cases, Egmore till October 12.With the interim order coming to an end Friday, it was extended up to November 2.The issue pertains to alleged non-disclosure of overseas assets and bank accounts held by the trio.According to the I-T department, the three had failed to disclose a property they jointly own in Cambridge in the UK, worth Rs 5.37 crore, which amounted to an offence under the Black Money (Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets) and Imposition of Tax Act.The department has also alleged that Karti Chidambaram had failed to disclose an overseas bank account he holds with Metro Bank in the UK and investments he had made in Nano Holdings LLC, USA.He had also "failed" to disclose investments made by Chess Global Advisory, a company co-owned by him, which amounts to an offence under the Black Money Act, the department has said in its complaint filed in the special court in May.Assailing the prosecution, the three had approached the High Court. As a single judge bench refused any relief, they moved an appeal.On June 27, the first bench headed by then Chief Justice Indira Banerjee reserved its order on the appeal. However, as Justice Banerjee was later elevated to the Supreme Court, orders could not be pronounced.The appeal was then referred to the bench headed by Justice Manikumar for fresh hearing.During the hearing by Justice Banerjee, counsel for the appellants had contended that prima facie no offence can be made out against them under the Black Money Act.The Act deals with undisclosed income raised from foreign assets.But in the present case, all the relevant information had been disclosed by the petitioners in their returns filed under the Income Tax Act, the counsel had said.
New Delhi, Oct 12 (TST) A court here on Friday directed the Delhi police to hand over certain documents to Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, accused in a case related to the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal passed the directions after he was told by senior advocate Vikas Pahwa, appearing for Tharoor, that certain electronic evidence, provided by the prosecution, was not in good condition.The police, represented by public prosecutor Atul Srivastava, told the court that fresh copies will be given to Tharoor, after which the court fixed the mater for further hearing on October 23.The evidence include various documents which also contain statements of various witnesses recorded in the case.Pushkar was found dead in a suite of a luxury hotel in the city on the night of January 17, 2014. The couple was staying in the hotel as the official bungalow of Tharoor was being renovated at that time.The court had directed the Delhi Police to hand over various documents filed along with the charge sheet, including statements of witnesses, to Tharoor on a plea moved by him.The Thiruvananthapuram MP was granted regular bail by court on July 7 after he appeared before court in pursuance to the summons issued against him.The court had on June 5 summoned Tharoor, observing there was sufficient ground to proceed against him.Tharoor has been charged under sections 498A (husband or his relative subjecting a woman to cruelty) and 306 (abetment of suicide) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), but has not been arrested in the case.